Thursday, 29 August 2013

Application!

I handed in my GP training application form. On time. I don't think I've ever spent so much time and attention to ANY application. First, I tried to find as much information as possible. How, what, where, experiences, advice... Luckily it's not too hard to find either a GP or one in training to chat with. Google helped me a long way. I even studied a 95-page report on differences between the universities. Then, I used a list of aspects Leiden University pays attention to -to be found on their website- to start my mind. I know why I want this, the only trouble is that I can't find words to describe it. The limitations of the Dutch language doesn't really help there either. Then, I sorted out the 6-page application form. Those questions are hard! What was my exact graduation date? Is my cardio research relevant? What about child and adolescent psych? I mean, MOST things are relevant for general practice, just maybe not equally relevant. Religious studies turned out to be more relevant for medicine than you'd think, for example. At some point I decided to write the letter. I spent many very focused hours, without the blinking stripe on my screen actually being chased by very many letters. How. Do. I. Explain. This. Draft 1 got reviewed by 3 people, as did draft 2 and in the end the only difference between draft 2 and the final result was a few spelling corrections and one sentence. I decided that I was capable of writing a sentence. The Sentence was rather important I think. It's about the 'context' in which a patient/person experience whatever troubles they're facing. I talked to our GP trainee, she mentioned that... and when I re-read my letter I noticed that I did not express it. It's that thing where I paint a mental picture of someone's world. I've always done that, I've always found that really fascinating. Even as a child. I suppose growing up in a multi-cultural country inspired that. It took me a while to realise that not everybody does that. I still don't understand how you work as a doctor without considering this 'context'; well, unless of course in certain acute situations where you need to treat first what kills first. But, even THEN: Do they have an NTBR, do they want to be saved, do they refuse blood? I tweaked my resume, mostly the lay-out. I only realised that my summer jobs may have been relevant, but, oh well. Not extremely relevant. And then I handed it in. And now, we wait.

1 comment: