Monday, 13 June 2011

A day at IKEA.

As you may or may not know, I've found an apartment. A 3 bedroom apartment (WITH walk in closet) and it's all for me.

That calls for some budgeting (as I need to pay a warranty) and a visit to IKEA.

Today was not the best day for that. I doubt any of the days I have available for such expeditions are the ideal day, but today must have been the worst idea. The entire Holland thought it was a good idea to go there today. I have no idea what they were doing there because I am VERY certain that not all of them were moving or redecorating. IKEA had a sale, and Dutchmen love sales, no matter how lousy they are.

Apparently, for some people, IKEA makes the perfect family day out. I don't get it. I don't find it inspiring. I find it cheap and practical and very unoriginal, but some people find it incredibly inspiring to walk around the IKEA and eat cheap meatballs. Maybe they're the same people who park their cars in the loading zone?

What I understand even less, is why they bring their children with them. I found a little boy complaining to his dad about how boring it is; and the dad said 'I know son, I don't like it either'.
So then why are you here?
And why are your children running around where I'm trying to push my heavy cart?

Another challenge was getting my stuff on a single cart. It's more than I thought it was going to be. Kitchenware takes a lot of space.
So does a full length mirror and the massive framed poster of a red London bus against a black-and-white background. The idea is an entirely black-and-white hall with just the red bus and maybe a red vase sticking out.
I went slightly over my IKEA budget (damn kitchenware, and I insisted on getting the exact rug I wanted, come on, I'm working as a doctor...)

but afterwards I went to CarpetRight and managed to get a really good deal on my carpetins and vinyl, spending 200 euros less than I bargained for, so all in all I'm playing quitte.

Now still needed: curtains for the living room and one of the extra rooms, blinds for the bedroom, a DVD-player, an iron and ironing board, a clothes rack, a stove and a broom. Oh, and the paint.

I'm poor.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about IKEA--I try to avoid it at all costs.

    Congrats on your new place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, all that new space to fill.

    I have a love/hate relationship with IKEA, and your trip sounds like one that could have happened here in California or any city in the world.
    Don't they have a play-land to stash those kids while they shop?

    ReplyDelete