Monday, 16 May 2011

No, I don't like my job

right now.

Look, I know nothing, can do nothing, and yet, people are expecting everything of me.
Meanwhile, I'm running a ward, and I have anything between 6 and 12 patients to attend to; and they're MY responsibility.

I want to run very very far away; I'm nervous, I'm exhausted, and considering that I'm pretty high up on the hospital food chain, I work long hours without overtime pay.

Medicine is not ER or Grey's Anatomy, it's Scrubs. (Although I did enjoy the 'bronchial tree' patient on Grey's, loved the word play, but it's not high on my diff diagnosis in any patient).
Oh, and it's not House either.

It's Scrubs, and I'm pale and sweaty and I hope nobody dies.

So ask me again, maybe in a few months or longer, if I enjoy my job.

3 comments:

  1. Thank god this first year of residency is coming to an end (PGY 2 in July)! I HATED the first 6 months, they were rough like hell. I cried every.single.day the first month (NICU is a killer). Trust me, we all think about changing jobs at some point. I wanted to quit on the 3rd month, and coming from me, it was quite a shocker as medicine has been a true passion ever since I was young. I'm not sure how it works where you are, but take some vacation quickly after the start of residency, don't wait several months, it will be too late!

    I know the feeling of feeling [not being, because you're your NOT] ignorant, the high expectations coming from your attendings and under appreciation floating around. It sucks big time. Been there done that, and would never go back there again. Now, after (almost) a year, I know what I'm capable of, I know my limits and I'm able to make people respect me by saying out loud what's wrong in our jobs.

    Keep your head up and just be proud of what you've accomplish so far, because no one will tell you. You're doing a great job!

    Hang in there, it gets better, eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right. It is closer to Scrubs, minus the floating head. You will be stressed, taxed and pushed to your breaking point, but like death, time helps. :)

    Kidding aside, you will get better and be a great doctor and maybe start to relax, maybe.

    Now thinking about it, actually JD's floating head and separate body that does dumb things is akin to working in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya, sister! Hang on, we gonna make it!

    ReplyDelete