Saturday, 16 April 2011

Very long dead fellow countrymen

Today another holiday tale.

We also went to visit the historical Stellenbosch in South-Africa. It's really a gorgeous town, idyllic almost, set in South-Africa's wine country.

I think maybe my memory of this part of the trip is slightly blurred by the fever I had, and the murderous sore throat, and maybe the horse-dosages of pain killers I took... but I do remember that it's a fascinating place to go and home to Stellenbosch University, one of the country's best uni's.

A few years ago, I was an elective student at Stellenbosch University's Tygerberg campus. Tygerberg is in Cape Town, technically, but it's Stellies' medical faculty. That's my teeny tiny history with the Cape; in reality I'm from Gauteng. Originally, that is, I've spent half my life abroad and the result is that I'm not really from anywhere in particular anymore.

At the Mother Church in Stellenbosch I found this:



Tombs of dead, well, fellow countrymen. They're dead Dutchmen from the 1700's; which makes me unsure if they're dead old or new fellow countrymen. As a white South-African, I have Dutch ancestors, probably not the ones buried here, but still. Some of these buried here would be first-generation South-Africans, from before the Afrikaans were the Afrikaans and before the English discovered how much fun South-Africa is. I'm an expat in Holland, but I'm a Dutch citizen since I think 2008. These tombs made me aware of an odd cycle I'm running (or cycling) around the Dutch: I'm not a 'real' Dutchwoman, but yet, these dead Dutchmen are double fellow countrymen.












Exercise: Pilates work out DVD.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you had a great time back in South Africa! Why did yo leave originally? I did my elective at Victoria Hospital in Cape Town, it was so quaint. I'm very keen to move to Cape Town for my internship! Are you a Stellies' grad?

    ReplyDelete