Friday, 22 April 2011

Signed, sealed, delivered

There. I signed my contract and am on my way to mail it. (Once the floor is dried up, Grandma did the floors). Along with it, I'll be mailing the MRSA kit. This means the job hunt is officially over... for this year.

If I'm MRSA positive, I might have to get treated and then find another job. Because I can't start work at this hospital if I'm MRSA positive.

I have a contract for 38h/week, plus 10h 'training and supervision', which comes down to 48h a week (EU norm). In the beginning it will probably take me longer to do the work I'm supposed to do in 48h; but essentially my work day is from 8:00 - 18:00/18:30; not taking into account shifts. When doing night shifts, I get to sleep during the day. When doing evening shifts, well, I forgot how this hospital did it, but either I work 'doubles' and get days off in return, or I just work evenings. I'll be earning enough to have to pay around 30% in taxes (we have a stepped tax system: the more you earn, the higher% you pay), and I'll be earning more than my friends who started work 2 years ago and who smilingly always had money when I had none. I also have 116.82 hours of vacation for 2011. If I worked a full year, I'd have 175.23 hours of vacation, which is just over 4 weeks. Mind you, that 0.23h is very important. I just don't know what I am going to do with 14 1/2 minutes of vacation.

That just to give you an idea, since my stats page says most of the people who actually read this are American.

4 comments:

  1. 14 1/2 minutes is just about right for one more martini!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to you! And 14.5 min...hmm... I say, hot cup of coffee. Enjoyable, but also serves to prepare you to get back to work. Though the martini might fit the bill too I suppose ;) Best to you! When do you start?
    Cheers,
    Headstrong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the job hunt's conclusion (for now, at least). What a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya, Canada is similar to the Dutch way for taxes and vacation. Although at my hospital, you get them AFTER you work the hours, so it accumulates gradually at first (still end up with the same vacation though)

    Good luck!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete