Thursday, 17 March 2011

Graduation Day!

And, an actual picture of me. See? I'm blonde. That's me, being congratulated by the president of the exam board of our medical faculty.

On the way to Maastricht I phoned the hospital and accepted job nr 3. Yes, I'll be working hard, but at this stage I need to learn a lot, and this seemed to be the best learning opportunity. Yes, I love cardiology, and I love psych, but I need more than either one. Plus, this job includes cardiology and pulmonology and A&E on top of just medical wards; I think any UK FY2 can be jealous of me.

We arrived early, parked our car and then went to the church. It was a bit weird at first, turns out there were only about 20 of us. Then time for the group picture, and also time to discover that one of my classmates is already working at the hospital where I'm going to start working in May.

For all those who wonder how such a ceremony works: I live in Holland. We don't do robes and hats. We do pretty dresses and high heels. Or not, in some cases.
The chairman opened the 'special meeting of the Exam Board'. After the short opening speech, he read the Oath, and then we had to reply with the last sentence (This I promise/ So help me God Almighty). My sister said I did my oath too quickly for her to take a picture! I went with the God Almighty one, stammered on the Almighty, because it was a church and because it seemed safer from my agnostic point of view.
After that we were handed our certificates after somebody gave a little speech for us. In my case it was my father. Some were funny, some embarrassing, some down to the point. Some fathers made a point out of saying that their children were now their colleagues, mine joked about always having to do the speech for his own students and now for his daughter. The Exam Board enjoyed the speeches; I suppose it's fun to learn about the anonymous students.
Then it was time for a final speech, and, an hour and a half after it began it was time to wrap it up again. Drinks were served, but no refreshments. A bit disappointing, really, but it doesn't matter. A friend of mine couldn't make it, but she came to the drinks bit to congratulate me.

We drove back, and then went out for dinner.

I sat up straight like a lady all day long. The dress was beautiful, but only comfortable when my spine was straight.

I'm flying to South-Africa this Saturday, so I'm not going to be writing much in the meantime.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing this journey. It will be interesting to see how the next chapter in life unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! A job already and I must say a very pretty outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Safe journey! And GREAT hair! (Can't wait till mine grows back in!). All the best!
    Cheers,
    Headstrong

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh! I stop checking my blog updates for a week and I miss all the action! First of all, CONGRATULATIONS--the job, the graduation, the good hair, congrats on it all! Secondly, your dress is beautiful and thirdly, I'm sure your dad was just beaming. The whole thing....yay yay yay!

    I just read the post about SCUBA diving...I did my first resort course two summers ago and it was fabulous! Have a ball!

    ReplyDelete