Monday, 24 January 2011

Not Alone.

First things first: I passed my written drivers test. Whoot.

This evening I ran a lap around our neighbourhood. I am horrible at estimating distances, apparently, because what was intended to be a 6k run clocked in at 6.88km. I suppose I will just run 5.2 in my next run to AVERAGE at 6k a run for this week. I'm thrilled. I barely walked. Kept the pace low, but still this work out was a challenge. My nano is fairly accurate at the moment.

Apparently I'm not the only one who runs in this neighbourhood. I always run into other runners. Even in the middle of the day; though then it's typically women (SAHM's?) in a great range of running and non-running clothes. I went running at around 7PM and lapped around part of the neighbourhood. A great part of the route consists of the shell-path next to a canal between the older and newer part of the neighbourhood. The return bit is on a cycle path. On this simple route, in the dark, I ran into 11 other runners. 2 women, 8 men and 1 young boy who ran with his father. (Apparently, running is also a man's business). No kidding. After runner nr 5 I made a sport out of counting them.

As my mum put it:

"Looks like you're not the only nutcase around here then."

My run was also perfect to try out my new Puma 'winter hoodie'.  I love my other running hoodie so much that I can't wait for it to come out of the laundry. (I also hate my very old Nike jacket, it's too pink and not as terrific and I can't put my hands anywhere)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the driving test, sort of funny because then you talk about running all over the place.

    Any close calls, kids jumping out of the way, old people with walkers. Seriously though is that mini on the horizon?

    ReplyDelete